Wednesday 6 August 2014

LOCKO PARK, DERBY


Locko Park near Derby had been on my to visit list for quiet a few years. It was the last of the large Country Houses around Derby that I had not seen and photographed. It was a chance find on the web of the garden being open under the National Garden Scheme, that I put it on my calendar in big letters.
As the day approached, the weather forecast wasn't looking very promising. But as you can see from the photos it was a glorious day.



The House and Estate are privately owned and can only be visited on NGS day, unless you book the House for your Wedding or Corporate event. I am sure that any bride and groom would love to arrive by horse and carriage at this grand entrance portico.   


The day was well attended and I just had to be patient to get that perfect shot.




A professional wedding photographer would be spoilt for choice for photographing the newly weds in this garden.





As the crowds thinned and 4 o'clock approached I got some of my best pictures, with the sun being at the right angle. 
The couple on the bench told me that they had been here on previous years and this one had been the best. Just to be able to sit and look out into the parkland and think if I could own and enjoy this, all of the time ! To say you are only 15 minutes from the centre of Derby you would not believe how quiet and tranquil it is.





A lot of families with children did not venture up this side of the garden, so they missed out in seeing the long border and what was round the next corner.





In need of repair, but it makes a great photograph.


At this point I just timed it right, one of the gardeners was showing a group around the garden and he was explaining how he had created these stone balls. He had used a template to get the shape, but inside he had used plant pots and pins to hold the structure firm.

Through this archway is the arboretum.

After looking all round the garden, it was off to sample the home made cakes and a nice cup of tea in the courtyard. Nice !



So with 5 o'clock approaching there was just enough time to take these photos from the lake. A great day had by all.



If you wish to read a brief history of Locko Park, I have pasted their link below.




No comments:

Post a Comment

You can leave a comment if you have a Gmail address or a Google account. I only receive your name & comment from Google. I do NOT receive your email address when you post a comment, SO if you want to contact me & need a reply please use my email address which is on the Links & Contact Tab. Comments are not shown on the blog until I publish them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.