Friday 19 September 2014

LYME PARK, CHESHIRE



The day had been cloudy for most of the day resulting in me at first not getting very good pictures of Lyme Park, but after I had been round the well kept gardens & house, the sun started to appear, requiring me to have to race around the grounds to get these decent photos of the house before closing time at 5 o'clock.












I spoke to the young gardener tending the lawns & borders near the orangery, if he was fined for leaving any weeds in the borders, which he replied "no, you will always find some weeds." He then realised I was joking with him & I commended him on doing such a great job in tending the beds & for his perfectly striped lawns. As a keen garden myself you appreciate how much time & effort has been put in to keep these gardens looking as good as they do. They were a pleasure to see & photograph.







Lyme Park was used for the setting of Pemberley in the 1995 television series of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice starring Jennifer Ehle & Colin Firth.







If it was not for one of the kind garden attendants I would have not got this great shot of the house from the Italian Gardens. The bell had been rung to exit the gardens at 5 o'clock & everyone including myself proceeded towards the exit. It was at this point with me seeing people coming up from the Italian Gardens, that I had not been down there. So I asked the attendant, which he granted, if there was time for me to nip down to these gardens, resulting in me getting this great shot of the house, with the light just spot on.

If you do go to Lyme Park make sure you allow it to be an all day visit as there is plenty to see. Not like me, I only managed to have three hours there & that was not long enough to get my money's worth, as it wasn't cheap to go in & there was no reduction for seniors. You also have to pay £7 car parking on top, which I though was the National Trust going too far. So I expect I have learnt from this day not to pull in too many places in the same day or you pay the price !

All in all it was grand day out, Anson Engine Museum in the morning & a historical house & gardens in the afternoon, not forgetting that nice cake at lunch time.



No comments:

Post a Comment

You can leave a comment if you have a Gmail address or a Google account. I only receive your name & comment from Google. I do NOT receive your email address when you post a comment, SO if you want to contact me & need a reply please use my email address which is on the Links & Contact Tab. Comments are not shown on the blog until I publish them.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.